August 6, 2008

Shelling Peas

Great Moments in Small Town Eastern Oklahoma History

The other day my mom and I were having lunch with one of the high school English teachers at the Eaton Hole, a fine establishment whose decor includes at least four dead animals, a cardboard cutout of the Ten Commandments, and enough camouflage to outfit the Viet Cong, and whose preferred sandwich bread is as white and tasteless as its clientele.

The English teacher was talking about shelling peas all day on her porch and how long it took, how annoying it was, and how few peas she actually got out of all that work.

She leaned in close to us and whispered earnestly, "You know, now I understand why people had slaves. If I had one, I'd definitely not be shelling all those peas."

This has been Great Moments in Small Town Eastern Oklahoma History. Stay tuned for our next installment...

No comments: